To provide shelter and adoption of companion animals, reduce overpopulation, extend humane education, prevent cruelty, and provide those services that promote its goals and policies Vision.
To be a compassionate and respected service organization which represents the voice of animals, recognizes that sanctity of life is the cornerstone of our mission, and continually strives to educate the public about overpopulation – with the goal of find a permanent and loving home for every homeless and unwanted pet.
The HSGC’s focus remains on the companion animals (dogs, cats, puppies and kittens) of Genesee County. To treat the animals and one another with dignity and respect, and to do our best to provide humane treatment for the animals in our care.
A Brief History of the HSGC
The Humane Society of Genesee County traces its beginnings to 1926 and the interest and efforts of Mr. Jonathan E. Burroughs, a respected member of the Flint community. Mr. Burroughs and his colleagues shared a concern for animals which was translated into a shelter without walls; where homeless animals were cared for by volunteers.
The focus of the Humane Society of Genesee County has always been the overpopulation and care of companion animals (dogs, cats, puppies and kittens) of Genesee County.For many years, animals in need were humanely cared for in temporary shelters until personal interest, energy and philanthropy led to the purchase of the first building in 1961.
Continued demands for Humane Society programs created the need for the facility to expand further in 1968 and ultimately to occupy a new and modern facility in 1993.Our current, state-of-the-art facility was built through the private funding of our sponsors in 1993.